By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A better half to game and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity offers a chain of essays that observe a socio-historical viewpoint to myriad points of historic game and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from a number of foreign students with quite a few Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to check game in towns and territories during the Mediterranean basin
- Features a number of illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and a close index to extend accessibility and help researchers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best history of sports books
In 1890, baseball’s Pittsburgh Alleghenys gained a measly 23 video games, wasting 113. The Cleveland Spiders crowned this checklist after they misplaced an wonderful 134 video games in 1899. Over a hundred years later, the 2003 Detroit Tigers stood aside because the simply staff in baseball heritage to lose 60 video games ahead of July in a season.
Considering that beginning on July 10, 1935, Suffolk Downs has performed host to a couple of Thoroughbred racing�s maximum champions, together with Triple Crown winners conflict Admiral, Whirlaway, and attack, in addition to different greats comparable to Seabiscuit, John Henry, and Cigar. as well as those mythical horses, corridor of repute jockeys George Woolf, Johnny Longden, Eddie Arcaro, Chris McCarron, Angel Cordero, and Jerry Bailey have all competed on the East Boston oval.
This ebook is an exam of cultural resistance to segregation on the planet of black baseball via an research of editorial paintings, folktales, nicknames, “manhood” and the artwork of clowning. African americans labored to dismantle Jim Crow in the course of the production of a cultural counter-narrative that situated on baseball and the Negro Leagues that celebrated black fulfillment and that highlighted the contradictions and fallacies of white supremacy within the first half the 20 th century.
5 instances each one week during the last a number of many years, activities enthusiasts in New Orleans begun their mornings via examining neighborhood sportswriter Peter Finney. Finney's newspaper columns -- exciting, informative, and encouraging -- hooked up New Orleans readers to the realm of activities, for almost 70 years. From a occupation overall of 15,000 articles, this e-book deals a main choice of the superior of Finney's writing in addition to an advent from Peter Finney, Jr.
- Anetso, the Cherokee Ball Game: At the Center of Ceremony and Identity (First Peoples New Directions in Indigenous Studies)
- The Anthropology of Sport: An Introduction (A Revised Edition)
- King of the Court: Bill Russell and the Basketball Revolution
- Norwich: One Tiny Vermont Town's Secret to Happiness and Excellence
- My Life and Battles: By Jack Johnson
- Globetrotting: African American Athletes and Cold War Politics (Sport and Society)
Additional info for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)