By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited by way of Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of trustworthy pastor-scholars have a good time the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a suite of essays on its dynamic historical past, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that might be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its good fortune - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The background and heritage of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The historical past and other people in the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. maintaining Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism this day - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. amassed, secure, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health practitioner Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical device
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical instrument - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is a superb selection of articles, either sensible and scholarly. there's a lot right here to assist us comprehend the historical past, the theology, and the continued relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we hold forth during the Heidelberg in our church i'm going to definitely seek advice this e-book usually. It caused me to reassess and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at college Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the good news We virtually Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s observe composed for and certified via the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a unique position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be pleased about 'A religion worthy Teaching', a superb source that is helping us higher comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church heritage and historic theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Similar church history books
This assortment explores the crucial theological suggestion of covenant. it's been produced in honor of Dr. R. Larry Shelton, revered pupil and liked husband, father, colleague, and buddy. Covenant--the unifying subject matter of this book--is a subject matter to which Dr. Shelton committed substantial consciousness over his forty-five-year occupation as a pupil and instructor.
The 1st significant learn to attract upon unknown or overlooked assets, in addition to unique interviews with figures like Billy Graham, Awakening the Evangelical brain uniquely tells the attractive tale of ways evangelicalism built as an highbrow move in the midst of the twentieth century. starting with the lifetime of Harold Ockenga, Strachan exhibits how Ockenga introduced jointly a small group of Christian students at Harvard college within the Nineteen Forties who agitated for a reloaded Christian mind.
The evolution of Christianity because it is understood this present day all started in Antioch, yet as changing into Christian finds, it had as soon as been really diversified. whereas so much histories gloss over the earliest interval of Christianity to start with the Christian institution, this booklet uncovers the little-known historical past in the "gap" among 31 and 70 CE, while the Jesus flow was once established in Jerusalem less than the authority of James bar Joseph, the brother of Jesus, and the apostles served as missionaries wearing the lessons of Jesus all through Judea, Galilee, and Samaria.
Come to understand the home of the Virgin Mary which, in keeping with numberless saints, ratings of popes, and plenty of legit files of the Vatican (and to guard it from the depredations of the Saracens) used to be within the overdue 1200s miraculously transported from Mary’s village of Nazareth to a hillside in Italy.
- Luther's Large Catechism with Study Questions
- The Holy One in Our Midst: An Essay on the Flesh of Christ
- SCM Studyguide Early Christian Doctrine (Scm Studyguides)
- Anglican Enlightenment: Orientalism, Religion and Politics in England and its Empire, 1648–1715 (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
Extra resources for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage